Contribute to open source projects during this month, and collect some free swag from Digital Ocean!
October 28th, from 5pm to 9pm
CS 1009 (Computing Services
Stuck on Hacktoberfest contribution ideas? Unsure of how exactly to contribute with regards to using GitHub and writing Python?
Come to this in person event, hangout with some folks, and learn the ropes of the GitHub workflow, some intermediate Python, and contributing to our open source projects!
We’ll be showing how to contribute to our Discord bot Automata, and the workflow from idea, to plugin creation from scratch, and pull request to GitHub.
Already contributed? Come and pick up your sticker early!
Please fill out this RSVP / contact tracing form beforehand!
More information regarding Hacktoberfest itself can be found here
If the project you’re contributing to is associated with us, we’ll hook you up with a free MUNCSS sticker as well!
Once you’ve made your contribution, reach out to one of our executives, and we will make note of that contribution.
If you are:
- Struggling with ideas for contributions
- Having trouble putting your contribution together
- Fighting with git / GitHub trying to put your contribution up
Feel free to reach out in
#development within our Discord, there is plenty of people available to help you out
If you have an idea for a project that isn’t related to one of our existing ones, but would make sense to be associated with the society / live on our GitHub org., we’re open for that as well!
Note that for picking up the sticker, we will be making them available to pickup at MUN; if you are not currently in the province we unfortunately cannot get the sticker to you.
- Discord bot handling the management of our server.
- Written using discord.py
- Both management commands, but also some fun ones too!
- ‘Weather Feature’ from HaMoOoOd25, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/76
- ‘Async all the things’ from nint8835, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/77
- ‘Custom help command’ from dchicasduena, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/82
- ‘Today mun hacktober’ from zcvaters, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/81
- ‘Announcements’ from HaMoOoOd25, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/80
- ‘Cards’ from jackharrhy, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/84
- ‘Hey Guys’ from PunkBat, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/88
- ‘Fortune Cookie’ from singhripudaman, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/93
- ‘Cowsay’ from jackharrhy, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/95
- ‘DuckDuckGo Instant Answer’ from SteveParson, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/94
- ‘Vibe Car’ from hamzahap, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/98
- ‘Verilog’ from jackharrhy, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/101
- ‘Add more information about what electives are’ from Mudkip, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/103
- ‘Brainf’ from donno2048, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/105
- ‘Halal’ from singhripudaman, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/97
- ‘Continue’ from cmoyates, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/Automata/pull/104
- Using the Astro framework
- Contains information about the society, its executives, and other external resources
- ‘Typo in exec name’ from zcvaters, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/MUNCS-Website/pull/104
- ‘Added me’ from hamzahap, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/MUNCS-Website/pull/106
- ‘Fixed typo in Hacktober page’ from dchicasduena, https://github.com/MUNComputerScienceSociety/MUNCS-Website/pull/107
- Executive documents for the society
- GitHub actions to build all documents as PDF, and host them on www.cs.mun.ca
None so far
- a discord bot
- its written in php
- ‘phap 2021 rewrite’ from jackharrhy, https://github.com/jackharrhy/PhapBot/pull/1